Creating your own soap can be a fun and rewarding experience, especially when using natural ingredients like olive oil, coconut oil, and shea butter. These ingredients offer various benefits for the skin and can help to nourish and moisturize. Here's a simple recipe to make your own olive oil, coconut oil, and shea butter soap:
- 400g olive oil
- 200g coconut oil
- 100g shea butter
- 138g water
- 62g sodium hydroxide (lye)
- Optional: Essential oils for fragrance (lavender, tea tree, etc.)
1. Ensure you are working in a well-ventilated area and wear protective gloves and goggles.
2. Weigh out the water in a heat-resistant container.
3. In a separate container, carefully weigh out the sodium hydroxide (lye). Gradually add the lye to the water, stirring gently until fully dissolved. Be cautious as this mixture can become very hot.
4. Allow the lye mixture to cool down to around 40°C (104°F).
5. In a separate heat-resistant container, melt the coconut oil, shea butter, and olive oil together using a double boiler or microwave.
6. Once melted, allow the oils to cool to around 40°C (104°F). It's important to have both the lye mixture and oils at a similar temperature before combining.
7. Slowly pour the lye mixture into the oils, stirring continuously.
8. Use a stick blender to blend the mixture until it reaches trace. Trace is when the mixture thickens to the point where you can see a trail or "trace" of the mixture on the surface when you lift the blender.
9. If desired, add a few drops of your chosen essential oils for fragrance and stir well.
10. Pour the soap mixture into soap molds and cover with a towel or plastic wrap to insulate.
11. Allow the soap to cure for about 4-6 weeks in a cool, dry place. During this time, the soap will harden and the excess water will evaporate, resulting in a longer-lasting bar.
Remember, when working with lye, always follow safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. Once the soap has fully cured, you can enjoy the benefits of your homemade olive oil, coconut oil, and shea butter soap, which will provide nourishment and moisture to your skin.