Get silky smooth skin with this easy homemade moisturizer recipe made with coconut oil and glycerin.
Learn how to make it, how to use it, and answers to frequently asked questions about the benefits of using coconut oil and glycerin for your skin.
Coconut Oil Glycerin Moisturizer Recipe
- Double boiler or heat-proof bowl and saucepan
- Whisk or spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Glass jar or container
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup glycerin
- ¼ teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a double boiler or heat-proof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in glycerin and vitamin E oil (if using).
- Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes, then add any essential oils of your choice (if using).
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar or container and let it cool completely before using.
- This moisturizer can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 months.
- The moisturizer can be used on the face, body, and hands.
- If the moisturizer becomes solid, gently warm it in your hands before using.
How to Use
- Cleanse your skin and pat dry.
- Take a small amount of moisturizer in your palm and massage it gently onto your face and body.
- Use daily for best results.
What are the benefits of using coconut oil on the skin?
Coconut oil is known for its hydrating and moisturizing properties. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that help to nourish and protect the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can help to soothe and heal the skin.
Can coconut oil be used as a moisturizer for oily skin?
Coconut oil can be used as a moisturizer for oily skin as it is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores. Its antibacterial properties can also help to keep the skin clear and prevent acne.
What are the benefits of using glycerin on the skin?
Glycerin is a humectant, meaning it helps to attract and retain moisture in the skin. It is also non-comedogenic and can help to soothe and calm irritated skin.
Can coconut oil and glycerin be used together on the skin?
Yes, coconut oil and glycerin can be used together on the skin as they both have moisturizing properties. Coconut oil can provide a barrier to lock in the moisture provided by glycerin.
Is coconut oil good for sensitive skin?
Coconut oil can be good for sensitive skin as it is gentle and non-irritating. However, it is always best to do a patch test before using any new product on sensitive skin.
Does coconut oil have SPF properties?
No, coconut oil does not have SPF properties and cannot protect the skin from UV rays. It is important to use a separate sunscreen product for sun protection.
Can coconut oil and glycerin be used as a makeup remover?
Yes, coconut oil and glycerin can be used as a makeup remover. The oil in coconut oil helps to dissolve makeup and the glycerin helps to moisturize the skin while removing makeup.
Can coconut oil and glycerin be used on the hair?
Yes, coconut oil and glycerin can be used on the hair to nourish and moisturize. They can be used as a hair mask or added to your regular hair care routine.
Can coconut oil and glycerin be used on babies?
It is best to consult with a pediatrician before using any new product on a baby’s skin. However, coconut oil and glycerin are generally considered safe for use on babies.
How long does this moisturizer last?
This moisturizer can last for up to 6 months when stored at room temperature in a sealed container. However, it is best to use it within 3 months for best results.