Make your own coconut oil lotion at home with this simple and easy recipe! With natural ingredients and no chemicals, this lotion will leave your skin feeling nourished and hydrated.
Coconut Oil Lotion Recipe
- Double boiler or heat-proof bowl and saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- Glass container for storage
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup almond oil or jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Fill the bottom part of the double boiler with water and place it over medium heat. Alternatively, you can use a heat-proof bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water.
- In the top part of the double boiler or the heat-proof bowl, melt the coconut oil, almond oil or jojoba oil, and beeswax. Stir occasionally until the ingredients are fully melted.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a minute.
- If you are using essential oils, add them to the mixture and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk or beat the mixture until it thickens and becomes creamy. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a glass container and let it cool for an hour.
- This recipe can be doubled or halved as needed.
- If you do not have almond oil or jojoba oil, you can use all coconut oil instead.
- You can use any essential oil of your choice, but lavender and lemon are great choices for their relaxing and refreshing properties.
- Store the lotion in a cool, dry place.
How to Use
- Cleanse your skin thoroughly before using the lotion.
- Take a small amount of the lotion and rub it between your hands to warm it up.
- Apply the lotion to your skin, starting from the neck and working your way down.
- Massage the lotion into your skin, focusing on dry areas like elbows, knees, and feet.
- Use the lotion as needed, especially after showering or bathing.
What is coconut oil lotion?
Coconut oil lotion is a homemade skincare product made from coconut oil, other carrier oils, beeswax, and essential oils. It is used to moisturize and hydrate the skin.
Why is coconut oil good for the skin?
Coconut oil is good for the skin because it is rich in healthy fats, vitamins, and antioxidants. It is also antimicrobial, making it great for fighting off harmful bacteria.
What are the benefits of using coconut oil lotion?
Using coconut oil lotion can benefit the skin by providing hydration, nourishment, and protection. It can also help to soothe irritated skin and improve the skin’s overall appearance.
Is coconut oil lotion good for sensitive skin?
Coconut oil lotion can be good for sensitive skin as long as it is made with natural ingredients and does not contain any harsh chemicals. However, it is always important to test a small amount of the lotion on a small area of skin first before using it on a larger area.
Can you use coconut oil lotion on the face?
Yes, you can use coconut oil lotion on the face. It is a gentle and natural moisturizer that can benefit the skin.
How often should you use coconut oil lotion?
You can use coconut oil lotion as often as needed, but it is recommended to use it after showering or bathing when the skin is still damp to help lock in moisture.
How long does coconut oil lotion last?
Coconut oil lotion will last for up to 6 months if stored in a cool, dry place.
What are some alternatives to coconut oil lotion?
Some alternatives to coconut oil lotion include store-bought lotions, body butters, and creams. However, these products may contain harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, whereas coconut oil lotion is made with natural ingredients.