Get the benefits of lactic acid for your skin without breaking the bank. Learn how to make your own DIY lactic acid solution at home with this easy recipe.
Find out how to use it, what ingredients you’ll need, and more!
DIY Lactic Acid for Skin
- Small mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Measuring spoons
- Small airtight container
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- ¼ teaspoon lactic acid powder
- ¼ teaspoon vitamin C powder (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the aloe vera gel, lactic acid powder, and vitamin C powder (if using).
- Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small airtight container and let it cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, your DIY lactic acid for skin is ready to use.
- This recipe is suitable for all skin types, but if you have sensitive skin, start with a lower concentration of lactic acid and gradually increase it as your skin becomes accustomed to it.
- Be sure to patch test the lactic acid before using it on your face.
- Always use sunscreen when using any type of exfoliating acid on your skin.
- Use within 3-4 weeks, store it in the fridge.
How to Use
- Cleanse your face thoroughly and dry it.
- Apply a small amount of the lactic acid to your face, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes, depending on your skin sensitivity.
- Rinse off with water and apply a moisturizer.
- Use the lactic acid 1-2 times a week or as needed.
What is lactic acid for skin?
Lactic acid is a gentle alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that is commonly used in skincare products to exfoliate and brighten the skin. It works by dissolving the bonds between dead skin cells, which allows them to be easily removed, revealing smoother, brighter skin.
How does lactic acid work on the skin?
Lactic acid works by exfoliating the top layer of dead skin cells, which can make the skin appear brighter and more even-toned. It can also help to stimulate collagen production, which can improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
What are the benefits of lactic acid for skin?
Lactic acid has many benefits for the skin, including:
- Exfoliating the skin to reveal smoother and brighter skin
- Improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots
- Brightening the skin and evening out skin tone
- Stimulating collagen production for firmer skin
Is lactic acid good for sensitive skin?
Lactic acid is generally considered to be a gentle exfoliant that is suitable for sensitive skin. However, it is always best to patch test the product before using it all over your face, and to start with a lower concentration of lactic acid if you have sensitive skin. If you experience any redness, irritation, or burning sensation, discontinue use and consult with a dermatologist.
Can lactic acid be used daily?
Lactic acid can be used daily, but it is generally recommended to use it 1-2 times a week as a part of your skincare routine. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to start with using it once a week and gradually increase the frequency as your skin becomes accustomed to it.
How long does it take for lactic acid to work on the skin?
The effects of lactic acid on the skin can vary depending on the individual and the concentration of lactic acid used. Some people may notice an improvement in their skin’s appearance after the first use, while others may need to use it for several weeks to see results.
Can lactic acid be used with other skincare products?
Yes, lactic acid can be used with other skincare products such as moisturizers, serums, and sunscreens. However, it is best to use it at night and avoid using it with other exfoliating acids or products such as retinol and salicylic acid.
How can I make my own lactic acid for skin?
You can make your own lactic acid for skin by mixing aloe vera gel, lactic acid powder, and vitamin C powder (if desired) in a small mixing bowl. Once combined, transfer it to an airtight container and let it cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once cooled, it is ready to use.
What are the side effects of using lactic acid on the skin?
Lactic acid is generally considered to be safe for use on the skin, but some people may experience side effects such as redness, irritation, or burning sensation. If you experience any of these side effects, discontinue use and consult with a dermatologist.
Can lactic acid be used on dark spots?
Yes, lactic acid can be used to help reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation on the skin. Lactic acid works by exfoliating the top layer of dead skin cells, which can reveal brighter, more even-toned skin. However, it is important to note that everyone’s skin is different and results may vary, it is always best to consult with a dermatologist for a personalized skincare routine.