Learn how to make your own DIY scalp sunscreen with this easy recipe. Protect your scalp from sun damage while keeping your hair healthy and moisturized.
DIY Scalp Sunscreen
- Small mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of shea butter
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Heat the mixture in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until the beeswax is fully melted.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the vitamin E oil and essential oil (if using).
- Allow the mixture to cool and solidify slightly.
- Apply the sunscreen to your scalp and massage in well before heading out into the sun.
- You can store this sunscreen in a small container or jar for future use.
- If you have a sensitive scalp, you can use a lower amount of beeswax or omit it completely.
How to Use
- Before applying the sunscreen, make sure your hair is clean and dry.
- Take a small amount of the sunscreen and massage it into your scalp.
- Make sure to cover all areas of your scalp, especially the parts that are exposed to the sun.
- You can apply the sunscreen before styling your hair or put it on before heading out into the sun.
- Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours if you're spending a lot of time in the sun.
What is scalp sunscreen?
Scalp sunscreen is a type of sunscreen that is specifically designed to protect the scalp and hair from sun damage.
Is scalp sunscreen different from regular sunscreen?
Yes, scalp sunscreen is typically formulated to be lightweight and non-greasy, making it easy to apply to the scalp without weighing down the hair.
Why do I need to use sunscreen on my scalp?
The sun’s rays can cause damage to the scalp, leading to dryness, itching, and even hair loss. Using a sunscreen on the scalp can help prevent these issues.
Can I use regular sunscreen on my scalp?
While it’s possible to use regular sunscreen on your scalp, it’s not recommended. Regular sunscreens may be too heavy for the scalp and can weigh down your hair.
How often should I apply scalp sunscreen?
It’s recommended to reapply every 2-3 hours if you’re spending a lot of time in the sun.
Can scalp sunscreen damage my hair?
No, scalp sunscreen is formulated to be gentle on the hair and scalp and will not cause damage.
Can I use scalp sunscreen on my hair as well?
Yes, you can use scalp sunscreen on your hair as well, but it’s important to make sure it doesn’t weigh your hair down or make it greasy.
Can I use DIY scalp sunscreen on color-treated hair?
Yes, you can use DIY scalp sunscreen on color-treated hair, but it’s best to do a patch test first to make sure it doesn’t cause any damage or fading to the color.
Is it safe to use essential oils in DIY scalp sunscreen?
Yes, it is safe to use essential oils in DIY scalp sunscreen, but it’s important to use a high-quality, pure essential oil and not to use more than 15 drops in the mixture.
How long can I store DIY scalp sunscreen?
DIY scalp sunscreen can be stored for up to 6 months if kept in a cool, dry place. Make sure to check for any signs of spoilage before using.