Protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays with this homemade herbal sunscreen recipe. Made with natural ingredients, it is gentle on the skin and easy to make.
Herbal Sunscreen Recipe
- Small mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Jar or container for storage
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoons of shea butter
- 1 tablespoons of beeswax
- 1 tablespoons of zinc oxide powder
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Heat the mixture in a double boiler or in the microwave in short intervals, until the ingredients are fully melted.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the zinc oxide powder, aloe vera gel, and essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a jar or container and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, the sunscreen is ready to use.
- This sunscreen should be stored in a cool, dry place.
- The zinc oxide powder provides the sunscreen's SPF, so the amount used can be adjusted to change the SPF level.
- Essential oils can be adjusted to personal preference or swapped out for others with similar properties.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled for larger batches.
How to Use
- Apply a small amount of sunscreen to the face and body before sun exposure.
- Reapply every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating.
What is herbal sunscreen?
Herbal sunscreen is a sunscreen made with natural ingredients such as plants and minerals, as opposed to synthetic chemicals.
Is herbal sunscreen as effective as regular sunscreen?
Herbal sunscreens can be just as effective as regular sunscreens, but the SPF level may vary. It’s important to check the SPF level and reapply as necessary.
Can herbal sunscreen be used on sensitive skin?
Yes, herbal sunscreen is often gentler on sensitive skin as it does not contain harsh chemicals.
Are there any side effects of using herbal sunscreen?
There are no known side effects of using herbal sunscreen, but some individuals may have an allergic reaction to certain ingredients.
How long does herbal sunscreen last?
Herbal sunscreen typically has a shelf life of about one year.
Can herbal sunscreen be used on children?
Yes, herbal sunscreen can be used on children, but it’s always a good idea to patch test first.
Are there any herbal sunscreen options for people with dark skin?
Yes, herbal sunscreens are suitable for all skin types, including dark skin.
Does herbal sunscreen need to be reapplied as often as regular sunscreen?
Yes, herbal sunscreen should be reapplied as often as regular sunscreen, or every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating.
Can herbal sunscreen be used on the face?
Yes, herbal sunscreen can be used on the face. It’s important to use a gentle formula and avoid the eye area.
Are there any natural ingredients that can be used as a sunscreen?
Some natural ingredients that can be used as a sunscreen include zinc oxide powder, coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax. Aloe vera gel and essential oils can also be added for added benefits.