Discover how to make your own natural sunscreen using coconut oil. Learn about the benefits of coconut oil for sun protection and how to apply it to your skin.
Homemade Coconut Oil Sunscreen
- Double boiler or heat-proof glass bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Spoon or spatula
- Glass jar or container
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 2 tbsp zinc oxide powder
- 10 drops essential oil (optional)
- In a double boiler or heat-proof glass bowl, combine the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax. Heat over low heat until the ingredients are melted and well-combined.
- Once the mixture is melted, remove it from heat and add the zinc oxide powder and essential oil, if using. Mix well to ensure that the zinc oxide powder is fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar or container and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the sunscreen has cooled and hardened, it is ready to use. Store in a cool, dry place, and apply to skin as needed.
- This sunscreen will have a natural, coconut scent due to the coconut oil.
- The zinc oxide powder is what gives this sunscreen its sun protection properties. It is important to use a non-nano zinc oxide powder for optimal sunscreen effectiveness.
- This sunscreen will have a consistency similar to that of a balm.
How to Use
- Apply a small amount of sunscreen to the face and body 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Reapply as needed, especially after sweating, swimming, or toweling off.
- This sunscreen can also be used as a moisturizer for daily use.
Can coconut oil be used as sunscreen?
Yes, coconut oil has been found to have natural SPF properties and can provide sun protection for the skin.
Is coconut oil sunscreen effective?
Coconut oil sunscreen can be effective in protecting the skin from sun damage, but it is important to use a non-nano zinc oxide powder to ensure optimal sun protection.
What is the SPF of coconut oil sunscreen?
The SPF of coconut oil sunscreen can vary, but it is generally around SPF 4-5. It is important to use a non-nano zinc oxide powder to increase the sunscreen’s SPF.
Is coconut oil sunscreen safe for all skin types?
Yes, coconut oil sunscreen is safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Can I make my own sunscreen with coconut oil?
Yes, it is possible to make your own sunscreen with coconut oil and other natural ingredients.
Is coconut oil sunscreen waterproof?
No, coconut oil sunscreen is not waterproof and will need to be reapplied after sweating or swimming.
How long does coconut oil sunscreen last?
Coconut oil sunscreen can last for several months if stored in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight. However, it is recommended to use the sunscreen within 6-12 months for optimal effectiveness. It is also important to check the consistency and scent of the sunscreen before each use to ensure that it is still safe and effective for use.