Learn how to make your own homemade sunscreen cream using natural ingredients. This recipe is easy to make and perfect for those who want to avoid chemical sunscreens. Enjoy the benefits of natural sunscreen protection while avoiding harsh chemicals.
Homemade Sunscreen Cream
- Double boiler
- Mixing bowl
- Container for storage
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup shea butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 2 tablespoons non-nano zinc oxide powder
- 10 drops of essential oil (optional)
- In a double boiler, melt together the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Once the ingredients have melted, remove from heat and add in the zinc oxide powder and essential oil (if using).
- Whisk the ingredients together until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to cool and solidify for 1 hour.
- Once cooled and solidified, the sunscreen cream is ready to use.
- For best results, store the homemade sunscreen cream in a cool, dry place.
- Non-nano zinc oxide powder is important as it will not absorb into the skin and can provide a physical barrier against the sun's rays.
How to Use
- Apply a small amount to the skin before sun exposure.
- Reapply every 2 hours, or as needed.
- The sunscreen cream can be used on the face, body, and even on the scalp and hair.
What is the difference between chemical and physical sunscreen?
Chemical sunscreen uses chemicals to absorb and neutralize UV rays, while physical sunscreen creates a barrier on the skin to reflect and scatter UV rays.
How often should I reapply sunscreen?
Sunscreen should be reapplied every 2 hours, or more frequently if you are swimming or sweating.
Can I use sunscreen on my face?
Yes, sunscreen can be used on the face. In fact, it is highly recommended to protect the delicate skin on the face from sun damage.
Is it possible to be allergic to sunscreen?
Yes, it is possible to be allergic to sunscreen. If you experience any rash or irritation after using a sunscreen, stop using it and consult a doctor.
How long can sunscreen be stored before it expires?
Most sunscreens have an expiration date of 3 years. However, once opened, the sunscreen should be used within a year to ensure its effectiveness.
Can I use sunscreen on my hair?
Yes, sunscreen can be used on the hair to protect it from sun damage. Be sure to use a sunscreen specifically formulated for hair, or make your own using natural ingredients.
Does sunscreen work for all skin types?
Sunscreen works for all skin types, but it’s important to consider your skin type when choosing a sunscreen. For example, those with oily or acne-prone skin should choose an oil-free sunscreen.