Keep your skin safe from the sun’s harmful rays with this homemade sunscreen made with aloe vera. Easy to make and all-natural, this sunscreen recipe is perfect for summer!
Homemade Sunscreen With Aloe Vera
- Glass jar with lid
- Small saucepan
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 1 tbsp vitamin E oil
- 1 tbsp zinc oxide powder
- 5 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil and beeswax over low heat.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, zinc oxide powder, and essential oil (if using).
- Mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar and let it cool for 2 hours.
- Once cooled, the sunscreen is ready to use!
- This sunscreen has a shelf life of 6-8 months.
- It is important to note that zinc oxide powder can leave a white residue on the skin, so be sure to rub it in well.
How to Use
- Before going out in the sun, apply a small amount of the sunscreen to your face and body.
- Reapply every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating.
Is sunscreen with aloe vera effective?
Yes, aloe vera has natural sunscreen properties and can provide additional benefits such as soothing and moisturizing the skin.
Is homemade sunscreen with aloe vera safe to use?
When made with safe and natural ingredients, homemade sunscreen with aloe vera can be safe to use. However, it is important to be aware that this homemade sunscreen may not be as effective as store-bought sunscreen.
How long does homemade sunscreen with aloe vera last?
Homemade sunscreen with aloe vera can last for 6-8 months when stored in an airtight container.
Can I use regular aloe vera gel or do I need to use a specific type?
You can use regular aloe vera gel for this recipe, but it’s important to make sure that it is pure aloe vera gel and not a product that contains additional ingredients.
Is it necessary to use zinc oxide powder in this recipe?
Zinc oxide powder is a natural sunscreen ingredient that helps to protect the skin from UV rays. It is necessary in this recipe to provide adequate sun protection.
Can I use other oils in place of coconut oil?
Other oils such as avocado oil or sunflower oil can be used in place of coconut oil, but the texture and consistency may vary.
Is it necessary to add essential oils to the recipe?
Adding essential oils is optional but can provide a pleasant scent to the sunscreen and may also to provide additional benefits for the skin such as anti-inflammatory or antioxidant properties. However, it is not necessary to add essential oils for the sunscreen to be effective.