Eyebrows are a big deal. If you can’t get them right, you might as well not even bother with makeup.
And the wrong brow shape can make your eyes look smaller or older than they are.
There’s nothing I hate more than seeing someone try to fix their eyebrows with concealer and powder because it looks so obvious and unnatural.
The good news is that there are many ways you can fill in your brows to make them look thicker and fuller without using any sort of product—and one of those ways is using gel!
How to Fill in Eyebrows With Gel
- Use a gel that is the same color as your eyebrows, unless you are going for a more dramatic look.
- Apply the gel using a brush, not your finger, to avoid getting it all over your face, or at least make sure that you wash off any excess on your face before applying it to your brows.
- Apply short strokes along the direction of hair growth (indicated by point 2 above), starting from the inner corner of each eye and working outward towards point 3 below:
How to Fill in Your Eyebrows With a Brush or Pencil
If you’re into the brow pencil and eyebrow brush method, here’s what you need to know:
- Use an angled brush to fill in your eyebrows. The bristles should be soft, not too stiff.
- If using a pencil, use it sparingly—try not to draw on too much product. Instead of making dark lines across your face, try shading lightly and building up color over time. This will help you avoid that dreaded “drawn-on” look!
- Apply the product with light strokes so that the color blends naturally with your natural brow shade.
How to Fill In Eyebrows with Powders
If you want to fill in your eyebrows with a powder, make sure that you choose one that is slightly lighter than your natural eyebrow color.
You can use a powder brush to apply the powder.
This will help keep the product from looking too heavy or unnatural when applied.
Brush the powder into the roots of your eyebrows and then set with a translucent setting powder for extra staying power.
How to Use Liquid Eye Shadow to Fill In Your Brows
- Use an angled brush.
- Choose a gel eye shadow that is close to your natural eyebrow color.
- Apply the gel to the brows with the brush and use a spoolie to blend if necessary!
How to Use Mascara To Fill In Your Brows
- Apply waterproof mascara in your preferred color to your brows with an angled brush.
- Use short, gentle strokes to fill in the brows and ensure that there is no excess product on the skin around your eyebrows.
- Make sure you clean up any excess product that has gone outside of your natural eyebrow shape so you don’t have a “halo” around them (this will make them look much more natural).
How to Use Loose Powder To Fill In Your Brows
Next, you’ll want to use the powder in the same direction as your hair growth.
This will help cover up any gaps or bald spots that might be left after filling in with pencil or gel.
Next, go back over the brows with a light hand and use just a small amount of powder at a time.
If you put too much on, wipe it off with a cotton swab before moving on to another area.
No matter what method you choose for filling in your eyebrows (pencil or gel), always keep in mind that less is more!
Afterwards, let them set overnight before removing any excess or stray hairs with an eyebrow brush or comb.
Tips For Using Gel For Filling In Eyebrows
Gel can be a great product for filling in eyebrows, but it’s important to do it correctly.
Here are some tips:
- Choose a gel that is the same color as your brows. You don’t want to use anything that’s too dark or light for your natural color.
- Apply the gel in small sections with an angled brush or spoolie brush, then blend everything out with another tool such as an eyebrow brush or Q-tip.
- Use a makeup remover with oil on it (such as coconut oil) to remove any excess product at night so that you’re not rubbing too much off during sleep.
We hope this article helped you figure out which eyebrow gel is right for you.
If you’re still unsure, go with our top pick: the Anastasia Beverly Hills Clearbrow Gel Brows 3-In-1 Waterproof Eyebrow Kit.
It comes in eight shades and has a formula that works on all skin types, so it’s perfect if you’ve never filled in your brows before or if they’re very sensitive.
Even better? The clear gel won’t flake off or fade away after application!