If you’re looking for a way to add some extra glow to your complexion or to make your foundation feel more comfortable on your skin, mixing oil with foundation might be the answer you’re looking for. A simple hack that’s been used by makeup artists for years, mixing oil with foundation can help you achieve a dewy, radiant finish without sacrificing coverage.
But before you go ahead and mix any old oil with your foundation, it’s important to know which oils are best suited to your skin type and how to properly mix them to avoid any mishaps. In this article, we’ll guide you through the ins and outs of mixing oil with foundation, from choosing the right oil for your skin to tips for achieving a flawless finish.
Why Mix Oil With Foundation?
There are several reasons why you might want to mix oil with foundation. For starters, adding oil to your foundation can help to hydrate and nourish your skin, making it feel more comfortable and less prone to dryness or flakiness. It can also help to create a more natural, skin-like finish that’s perfect for those who do not want a heavy, cakey look.
Another benefit of mixing oil with foundation is that it can help to enhance your skin’s natural radiance. Depending on the oil you use, you can achieve a subtle or more pronounced glow that’s perfect for a no-makeup makeup look or for special occasions when you want to look your best.
Choosing the Right Oil for Your Skin
Before you start mixing oil with your foundation, it’s important to choose the right oil for your skin type. Here is the table that you can refer to when choosing the right oil for your skin:
|Argan oil, avocado oil, rosehip oil, jojoba oil
|Oily or acne-prone
|Squalane oil, tea tree oil, grape seed oil, rosemary oil
|Hemp seed oil, marula oil, chia seed oil
|Chamomile oil, calendula oil, evening primrose oil, rose oil
Once you’ve chosen the right oil for your skin type, it’s important to make sure that the oil you’re using is pure and of high quality. Look for organic, cold-pressed oils whenever possible, as these are less likely to contain additives or preservatives that could irritate your skin.
How to Mix Oil and Foundation: Step-by-Step Guide
Mixing oil with foundation is a simple process that can be done in just a few easy steps. Here is a step-by-step guide that you can follow:
- Start with a clean, moisturized face. Apply your regular skincare products and allow them to fully absorb before moving on to the next step.
- Dispense a pea-sized amount of foundation onto the back of your hand.
- Add a few drops of oil to the foundation. The amount of oil you add will depend on how dewy you want your finish to be. Start with a small amount and adjust as needed.
- Use your fingers, a brush, or a sponge to mix the foundation and oil together until they are fully blended.
- Apply the mixture to your face as you normally would, focusing on areas where you want extra coverage or glow.
Tips for Achieving a Flawless Finish
If you want to achieve a flawless finish when mixing oil with foundation, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Start with a small amount of oil and foundation and build up as needed. It’s easier to add more product than to remove it if you go overboard.
- Apply the mixture to well-moisturized skin for a smoother, more even finish.
- Use a damp sponge to blend the foundation and oil together for a more seamless look.
- Set the mixture with a translucent powder if you want to reduce shine or prolong wear time.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Mixing Oil and Foundation
While mixing oil with foundation is a relatively simple process, there are a few common mistakes that you’ll want to avoid. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Using too much oil. This can make your foundation slide around or break down more quickly.
- Choosing the wrong oil for your skin type. This can lead to clogged pores, breakouts, or irritation.
- Skipping moisturizer. Mixing oil with foundation is not a replacement for moisturizer, so be sure to apply your regular moisturizer before mixing the two together.
- Applying too much powder. This can dull the glow that you’re trying to achieve with the oil and foundation mixture.
Conclusion: Mix Oil and Foundation Like a Pro
Mixing oil with foundation is a simple yet effective way to enhance your natural radiance and create a more comfortable, skin-like finish. By choosing the right oil for your skin type and following our step-by-step guide, you can achieve a flawless glow that’s perfect for any occasion. Just remember to start with a small amount of oil and build up as needed, and to avoid common mistakes like using too much powder or skipping moisturizer. With these tips in mind, you’ll be mixing oil and foundation like a pro in no time!