Learn how to make your own sunscreen body lotion with this easy recipe. Made with natural ingredients, this DIY lotion is perfect for protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
Sunscreen Body Lotion Recipe
- Double boiler or a heatproof bowl and a small saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Small container or jar for storing the lotion
- ¼ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide powder (non-nano)
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of essential oil (optional)
- In a double boiler or heatproof bowl and small saucepan, melt together the shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax.
- Once melted, remove the mixture from heat and let it cool slightly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the zinc oxide powder, almond oil, and aloe vera gel.
- Slowly add the cooled shea butter mixture to the zinc oxide mixture and whisk or fork until well combined.
- If desired, add in 10 drops of essential oil for fragrance.
- Transfer the mixture to a small container or jar and let it cool and solidify for 15 minutes.
- Once hardened, the lotion is ready to use.
- Be sure to use non-nano zinc oxide powder in this recipe, as nano particles can be harmful to your skin.
- This lotion will have a white, opaque appearance due to the zinc oxide.
- This recipe can be halved or doubled as desired.
How to Use
- Apply to skin before sun exposure
- Reapply every 2 hours or after sweating or swimming
- Avoid direct contact with eyes
- If skin irritation occurs, discontinue use
What is sunscreen body lotion?
Sunscreen body lotion is a type of lotion that contains sunscreen ingredients, which help protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
Why should I make my own sunscreen body lotion?
Making your own sunscreen body lotion allows you to control the ingredients and avoid harsh chemicals that may be found in store-bought sunscreens.
What are the benefits of using shea butter in sunscreen body lotion?
Shea butter is a natural moisturizer that is rich in vitamins A, E and F. It also provides a natural sun protection with an SPF of 6.
How often should I reapply sunscreen body lotion?
It’s recommended to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours or after sweating or swimming.
How long will this sunscreen body lotion recipe last?
This recipe will yield about 6 oz of lotion and will last about 6 months.
Can I use this sunscreen body lotion on my face?
Yes, this sunscreen body lotion can be used on the face as well as the body, but be sure to avoid contact with the eyes.
How does zinc oxide work as sunscreen ingredient?
Zinc oxide is a physical sunscreen ingredient, which means it sits on top of the skin and reflects UV rays away from the skin, effectively protecting it from harmful UV rays.