Do you love enjoying creamy dishes, but worry about the health implications of eating too much cream? Or maybe you’re lactose intolerant or follow a dairy-free diet? Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives to cream that can still give you a creamy texture while being healthier or lactose-free. In this article, we’ll discuss some popular alternatives to cream and the benefits of each.
1. Dairy-Free Alternatives
When it comes to dairy-free substitutes for cream, there are a few popular ingredients that can give you a creamy texture while avoiding dairy. Soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk all work great as substitutes for cream and can easily be used in many dishes.
- Soy milk: Soy milk is a great source of protein, making it a good replacement for cream in savory dishes.
- Almond milk: Almond milk is a great option for those looking for a non-dairy substitute for cream. It has a slightly nutty flavor and works well in place of heavy cream.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is a great substitute for cream in both sweet and savory dishes. It has a naturally sweet, creamy flavor and can be used as a dairy-free alternative.
2. Healthy Substitutes
In addition to dairy-free alternatives, there are a few healthy substitutes to cream that can be used in place of full-fat cream. Greek yogurt, low-fat milk, and low-fat sour cream are all good alternatives that are lower in fat and calories.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, making it a great substitute for cream. It has a creamy texture and is lower in fat and calories than cream.
- Low-fat milk: Low-fat milk is a great substitute for cream in baking and can be used in savory dishes as well. It has a lower fat content than cream and can be used in place of heavy cream for a healthier dish.
- Low-fat sour cream: Low-fat sour cream is a great option for those looking for a healthier alternative to cream. It has a similar texture to cream, but is lower in fat and calories.
3. Nut-Based Creams
Nut-based creams are a great option for those looking for a dairy-free substitute for cream. Cashew cream, almond cream, and peanut butter cream are all popular choices for those looking for a dairy-free alternative.
|Rich, creamy texture
|Peanut butter cream
|Sweet, nutty flavor
Cashew cream and almond cream are both great options for savory dishes, while peanut butter cream is better suited for sweet dishes.
4. Coconut Cream & Milk
Coconut cream and milk are great alternatives to cream and can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. Coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk and has more fat, making it a great substitute for cream. Coconut milk, on the other hand, is lower in fat and can be used in place of cream in baking recipes.
5. Avocado Cream
Avocado cream is a great alternative to cream for those looking for a dairy-free option. It’s rich and creamy and has a mild flavor that works well in sweet and savory dishes. Avocado cream is also a good source of healthy fats, making it a great option for those looking for a healthier alternative to cream.
6. Vegetable & Bean Purees
Vegetable and bean purees are a great way to add creaminess to dishes without the use of cream. Pureed vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and squash, as well as pureed beans, are great alternatives to cream and can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
7. Tofu & Silken Tofu
Tofu and silken tofu are another great alternative to cream. Tofu is a great source of protein and has a creamy texture that works great in savory dishes. Silken tofu, on the other hand, is great for sweet dishes and has a naturally sweet flavor.
8. Plant-Based Milk Creams
Plant-based milk creams are a great alternative to cream for those looking for a dairy-free option. Almond, oat, and soy milk creams are all dairy-free alternatives that have a creamy texture and can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
When it comes to cream substitutes, there are plenty of options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a dairy-free, healthy, vegan, or plant-based alternative, there’s sure to be an option that will work for you. With these alternatives to cream, you can still enjoy creamy dishes without worrying about the health implications of eating too much cream.