Moisturizers are some of the most popular products for your skin.
They help keep your skin soft and healthy, but they also do a lot more than that.
Moisturizers can improve the overall appearance of your skin and prevent certain types of aging.
In fact, many moisturizers contain ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) which are known to reduce wrinkles and fine lines while making your skin look younger.
But not all moisturizers have AHAs in them!
Some contain niacinamide instead, which has been found by researchers to be just as effective at treating acne-prone skin conditions like rosacea or cystic acne as AHAs are.
What moisturizers have niacinamide in them?
Not all moisturizers contain niacinamide.
Some, like CeraVe and Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula, do not contain it.
However, several popular creams that don’t advertise the ingredient still include it in their ingredients list.
- Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Moisturizer and Total Effects Pore Minimizing Moisturizer both contain niacinamide as well as other beneficial ingredients such as ceramides and retinol.
- Aloe & Naturals Daily Facial Moisturizer from Trader Joe’s also contains niacinamide along with a few other beneficial components such as aloe vera gel and avocado oil for hydration purposes; however, this product does not have any SPF protection built into its formula (which is one reason why it costs so much less than Olay).
The benefits of niacinamide in moisturizers
Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that helps to increase hydration and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
It also works to improve skin elasticity, so your moisturizer will make your skin look younger and feel smoother.
In addition to helping with hydration, niacinamide also has other benefits:
- It can help reduce hyperpigmentation or dark spots on your face
- It may reduce acne by controlling bacteria
How to determine if your moisturizer has niacinamide
If you want to know if your moisturizer has niacinamide, there are a few easy ways to check.
- Look for the word “niacinamide” on the label.
If it isn’t there, then it doesn’t have it.
- Search for the words “vitamin B3,” which is another name for niacinamide (vitamin B3 is also known as nicotinamide).
If you find this on your moisturizer’s label, then congratulations!
All signs point to yes—your moisturizer does indeed contain this ingredient!
- Still not sure?
Look out for any ingredient names ending in “-nicotinic acid,” since that’s what vitamin B3 and niacinamide both get converted into by your skin when applied topically (and also end up being a good indicator of whether or not something has been formulated with enough niacinamide in mind).
The role of niacinamide in skin care products
In addition to helping your skin look younger, niacinamide can help with acne by reducing inflammation, sebum production (the oil in our skin), and bacteria growth on the surface of your face.
Niacinamide may also help reduce redness caused by rosacea by decreasing inflammation at cellular levels.
Finally, niacinamide can even out your skin tone by improving production of ceramides—the “glue” that holds together healthy skin cells—and increasing collagen production for firmer-looking skin overall.
When should you use a moisturizer with niacinamide?
- If your skin is dry, niacinamide can help hydrate and protect it.
- If you have a sunburn, niacinamide can be soothing and reduce redness.
- If you have eczema or psoriasis, the anti-inflammatory properties of niacinamide may help improve the condition of these skin conditions.
- As many people age, their skin becomes less elastic and more prone to wrinkles. Regular use of a moisturizer with niacinamide can inhibit this process by boosting collagen production in our bodies.
Is it safe to use a moisturizer with niacinamide if you have sensitive skin?
If you have sensitive skin, it’s best to use a moisturizer with niacinamide.
Niacinamide is gentle and can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
If you’re looking for an effective skincare regimen that will leave your face feeling soft and smooth but also be gentle on sensitive skin, using a product with niacinamide is a good idea.
When choosing a moisturizer, it’s important to avoid products that are too harsh for your skin type if you have sensitive skin.
These types of ingredients may irritate the skin and cause redness or irritation instead of providing moisture.
When shopping for facial moisturizers that contain niacinamide, look for products designed specifically for sensitive complexions so they don’t irritate the skin further while providing hydration.
Do moisturizers with niacinamide work better than other kinds of creams?
Moisturizers with niacinamide can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin texture and tone, as well as improve hydration in the skin.
There are a lot of moisturizers and anti-aging products out there, but not all of them will provide the benefits you want.
Make sure that your moisturizer has niacinamide in it before spending money on something else!