This coconut oil mouthwash recipe is a natural and effective alternative to commercial mouthwashes.
Learn how to make this simple and effective recipe at home.
Coconut Oil Mouthwash Recipe
- Glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 5 drops of essential oil (such as peppermint or lemon)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the coconut oil, baking soda, and essential oil until fully combined.
- Stir in the sea salt.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store the mouthwash in a cool place for 5 minutes until it solidifies.
- Use as directed.
- This recipe will last for up to one week.
- Store the mouthwash in a cool, dark place.
- You can substitute the essential oil with any oil of your choice.
- Coconut oil may solidify in colder temperatures, but will become liquid again when heated.
How to Use
- Fill a small glass with 1/4 cup of water.
- Take a small spoonful of the coconut oil mouthwash and place it into the glass.
- Swish the mixture around in your mouth for 2-3 minutes.
- Spit the mouthwash out and rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat twice daily for optimal results.
What are the benefits of using coconut oil mouthwash?
- Coconut oil mouthwash has numerous benefits for oral health, including reducing plaque, freshening breath, and killing harmful bacteria in the mouth.
How does coconut oil mouthwash work?
- Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties that can help kill harmful bacteria in the mouth. The mouthwash works by coating the teeth and gums with the oil, which helps to reduce plaque and freshen breath.
Can coconut oil mouthwash replace regular mouthwash?
- Yes, coconut oil mouthwash can replace regular mouthwash. However, it is recommended to use it in conjunction with other oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing.
What ingredients are needed to make coconut oil mouthwash?
- The ingredients needed to make coconut oil mouthwash include coconut oil, water, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil (optional).
Is it safe to swallow coconut oil mouthwash?
- No, it is not safe to swallow coconut oil mouthwash. The mouthwash should be swished around in the mouth for 2-3 minutes and then spit into the sink.
How long should I use coconut oil mouthwash for best results?
- For best results, it is recommended to use coconut oil mouthwash in the morning and evening as part of a regular oral hygiene routine.
What is the shelf life of coconut oil mouthwash?
The shelf life of coconut oil mouthwash is around 6-12 months, depending on the freshness of the ingredients used and how well it is stored. It is recommended to store the mouthwash in a cool, dark place, and to always shake the bottle well before using.
How long should I swish the mouthwash in my mouth?
- It is recommended to swish the mouthwash in your mouth for 2-3 minutes. This allows the oil to coat the teeth and gums and work its antimicrobial properties.
Can I add any other ingredients to the coconut oil mouthwash?
- Yes, you can add other ingredients to the coconut oil mouthwash, such as essential oils or herbs. However, make sure to research the safety of any additional ingredients before using them.
Is coconut oil mouthwash safe for people with sensitive teeth?
- Coconut oil mouthwash is generally safe for people with sensitive teeth, but it is recommended to talk to your dentist before using it if you have any concerns. The oil can help to soothe and protect sensitive teeth, but it is always best to seek professional advice first.