This glycerin soap recipe is easy to make at home and uses coconut oil for added moisture and a tropical scent. Learn how to make your own soap with this step-by-step guide.
Glycerin Soap Recipe With Coconut Oil
- Double boiler or a heat-safe container and pot
- Soap mold
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cups glycerin
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut fragrance oil (optional)
- In a double boiler, melt the glycerin and coconut oil together over low heat.
- Once the oils are melted, remove from heat and add the coconut milk and coconut fragrance oil if using.
- Pour the mixture into a soap mold and let it cool for at least 24 hours.
- Once the soap is cool and hardened, remove it from the mold and it is ready to use.
- You can use any type of mold you prefer, but silicone molds are easy to use and release the soap easily.
- If you don't have a double boiler, you can use a heat-safe container and pot instead.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the mixture as it melts to prevent burning.
- You can also add other ingredients like herbs or essential oils to customize the scent and benefits of the soap.
How to Use
- Wet the soap with water
- Rub the soap on your skin to create a lather
- Rinse off the soap with water
- Store the soap in a dry place after use
What are the benefits of coconut oil in soap?
Coconut oil is known for its moisturizing properties, it can help to nourish and hydrate the skin, leaving it feeling smooth and soft.
Can I use coconut oil instead of glycerin in soap?
Glycerin is a humectant, which means it helps to attract and retain moisture in the skin. While coconut oil is also moisturizing, it does not have the same humectant properties as glycerin. So, it’s best to use both coconut oil and glycerin together in soap.
How much coconut oil should I use in soap?
The amount of coconut oil used in soap can vary depending on the recipe, but generally, it is recommended to use around 20-30% coconut oil in the recipe.
Can I add coconut milk to soap?
Yes, coconut milk can be added to soap as it can help to provide additional moisture and nourishment to the skin.
What is the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter in soap?
Coconut oil is the oil extracted from the meat of a coconut and is liquid at room temperature. Coconut butter is made by blending coconut meat and oil together, creating a smooth paste. Both can be used in soap, but coconut butter may provide more moisture and a creamier lather.
Can I add essential oils to my coconut oil and glycerin soap?
Yes, you can add essential oils to your soap to customize the scent and add additional benefits. However, be sure to use high-quality, pure essential oils and use them in the appropriate dilution.
How long will my coconut oil and glycerin soap last?
The shelf life of your soap will depend on the ingredients used and how it is stored. Properly stored soap will last for several months to a year.
Is glycerin soap better than regular soap?
Glycerin soap is known for its moisturizing properties and gentle nature on the skin. It can be beneficial for those with dry or sensitive skin. However, regular soap can also be moisturizing if it contains oils and other hydrating ingredients.
How can I make my coconut oil and glycerin soap harder?
To make your soap harder, you can add additional hardening agents such as beeswax or stearic acid. You can also let your soap cure for a longer period of time before using it.
Can I use this coconut oil and glycerin soap on my face?
Yes, this soap can be used on the face, but be sure to test a small area of your skin first to check for any irritation. It’s also recommended to use a gentler soap specifically formulated for the face if you have sensitive skin.