Say goodbye to sticky sunscreen lotions and hello to this easy-to-use sunscreen bar recipe. Perfect for summer days spent outdoors, this homemade sunscreen bar is easy to make and offers natural sun protection.
Sunscreen Bar Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Double boiler or a heatproof glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water
- Soap molds or silicone ice cube trays
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shea butter
- ½ cup beeswax
- 2 teaspoons zinc oxide powder
- 2 teaspoons non-nano titanium dioxide powder
- 2 teaspoons essential oils of your choice (optional)
- In a double boiler or heatproof glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Once the ingredients are melted, remove from heat and add in the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide powders. Stir until well combined.
- If desired, add in essential oils of your choice and stir.
- Pour the mixture into soap molds or silicone ice cube trays and let cool for 2 hours.
- Once cooled, remove the sunscreen bars from the molds and store in a cool, dry place.
- Be sure to use non-nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide powders for maximum sun protection.
- The essential oils are optional, but can add a pleasant scent to the sunscreen bars.
How to Use
- Rub the sunscreen bar onto skin before sun exposure.
- Reapply as needed throughout the day.
What are the benefits of using a sunscreen bar instead of a lotion?
- Sunscreen bars are easy to apply and less messy than traditional lotions. They also have a longer shelf life than liquid sunscreens.
Can I use this sunscreen bar on my face?
- Yes, this sunscreen bar is safe to use on the face.
How long will one sunscreen bar last?
- It depends on how often you use it and how much you apply each time. On average, one bar can last for several weeks.
Are there any other ingredients I can use in place of coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax?
- Yes, you can experiment with different oils and butters to create a sunscreen bar that works best for your skin type.
Can I use this sunscreen bar on children?
- Yes, this sunscreen bar is safe for children to use. However, always consult with a pediatrician before using any new skincare products on children.
How long can I store this sunscreen bar?
- This sunscreen bar can last for up to 6 months if stored in a cool, dry place.