Looking for a natural and effective sunscreen option? Try our DIY zinc oxide sunscreen power recipe! This easy to follow guide will show you how to make your own sunscreen at home, using non-toxic ingredients that are safe for your skin. Protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays while keeping your skin healthy and moisturized with this homemade sunscreen solution.
DIY Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Power Recipe
- Small saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Whisk or spoon
- Glass jar or container with a lid
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup beeswax
- 2 tbsp zinc oxide powder
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 10-15 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)
- In the small saucepan, melt the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax over low heat until fully melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the zinc oxide powder until fully combined.
- Stir in the aloe vera gel and essential oil, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the glass jar or container and let it cool and solidify for at least 1 hour.
- The SPF of this sunscreen will vary based on the amount of zinc oxide used. 2 tablespoons of zinc oxide will provide approximately SPF 20. For higher SPF, increase the amount of zinc oxide used.
- This sunscreen will have a matte finish due to the zinc oxide.
- The shelf life of this sunscreen is approximately 6-12 months.
How to Use
- Apply a generous amount of sunscreen to your face and body 15-30 minutes before going out in the sun.
- Reapply every 2 hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
Is sunscreen with zinc oxide better?
Sunscreen with zinc oxide is generally considered to be better because it provides broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. It is also a physical sunscreen, meaning it works by reflecting and scattering the sun’s rays rather than absorbing them, which makes it less irritating for sensitive skin.
Is sunscreen with zinc oxide safe?
Sunscreen with zinc oxide is generally considered to be safe for most people to use. However, as with any product, it is always a good idea to test it on a small patch of skin first to ensure that you do not have any adverse reactions.
Is zinc oxide alone enough for sun protection?
Zinc oxide alone is not enough for sun protection. It is important to also use other sun protection measures such as seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and avoiding prolonged sun exposure during peak hours.
Does zinc oxide dry out your skin?
Zinc oxide may have a drying effect on the skin, but this is not common. If you do experience dryness, you can use a moisturizer to combat it.
Who should not use zinc oxide?
People with allergies to zinc oxide should not use products containing it. If you are unsure whether you have an allergy to zinc oxide, it is always a good idea to test the product on a small patch of skin first.
How long does it take for zinc oxide to work on skin?
Zinc oxide works on the skin immediately upon application. However, it is important to re-apply every two hours or after swimming or sweating to ensure maximum protection.
Can you use zinc oxide everyday?
Yes, you can use zinc oxide every day, provided that you are using it as directed and are not experiencing any adverse reactions. It is always a good idea to consult with a dermatologist before using any new product on a daily basis.